Re: Gigabyte 586S and Cyrix 200+ (was Dual Pentium Machines)

"Kevin M. Bealer" wrote:
>"Kevin M. Bealer" wrote:
>(clipping orig post and most of reply...)

(again...)

>(grinding teeth)
>
>Kernel compiles are failing (twice). No signal 11's, just the compile
>complains about things as though random characters were inserted into
>a compile pipe or something.  Different errors, different files,
>rebuild fixes the problem both times..
>
>Anyway, I'll shut up for now.
>
>--kmb203@psu.edu----------------Debian/GNU--1.3---Linux--2.0.30---
>"You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike."

Ok, I'm going to waffle one more time:

When compiling before, I could reliably hang or oops the machine
simply by running continuous "make"s of the kernel.

By reliably I mean that the compile would fail, on the MAJORITY
of the compiles, i.e. usually about 1/2 way through the process.

After trying all sorts of measures, I have found one that seems so far
to reliably fix the problem: run it with the case off.  Since there is
unlikely to be any "grounding problems" because of the way the case is
laid out (its a full tower, the case is really just a "wrapper" for a
solid frame, and touches no components), it is almost certainly
thermal.

So, for the moment I retract what I said earlier, but I may waffle again
if I can't fix it by proper ventilation (I didn't realize how critical it
was..)

Now, if I could just get the serial ports to work so I can use my 3-b
mouse...

--kmb203@psu.edu----------------Debian/GNU--1.3---Linux--2.0.30---
Any sufficiently advanced operating system is indistinguishable from Un*x.