Re: Gigabyte 586S and Cyrix 200+ (was Dual Pentium Machines)

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Kevin M. Bealer wrote:
>
>> "Kevin M. Bealer" wrote:
>
>> Following up on this:
>>
>> After:
>>
>> 1) installing set6x86
>> 2) Setting all BIOS settings to maximum delay timings (for RAM)
>> 3) Setting the ISA bus frequency to 7.159 MHz (lowest setting)
>>    (only my CDROM, modem, and ethernet card are on the ISA anyway.)
>>
>> Everything seems to be stable.  The serial ports don't work as
>> far as I can tell, but the modem works fine, and the PS/2 mouse
>> works fine.
>
>Just a suggestion, but if you bought a board it should be able to run at
>'normal' clock rates and not require adjusting like that. IMHO you have
>some kind of faulty hardware if this is required. You might have some
>device/memory/whatever that doesn't like the 75MHz bus speed however...
>
>I had a board that would nuke Win95 in some strange cases, mostly due to
>PCI bustmastering it seemed, turned out to be bad ram -- though the ram
>didn't fail any of the tests the supplier put it through after I told him
>about it. I'm sure if I put linux on it I would see symptoms like you do,
>crashing during kernel compiles and such.
>
>Is this a 430TX based MB?
>
>Jason

Nah, it's a Gigabyte GA-586S, based on the SiS5571 chipset, Award
BIOS.  32 MB EDO, 512K cache plus whatever the internal cache
on a 6x86L 200+ is.

It is on the Cyrix "recommended" list as well, and has specific
documentation for setting up with this CPU (Cyrix 200+ has a 75 MHz
bus speed; if your MB runs it at 60 MHz bus, you effectively have
a 200 * (60/75) = 160.)

I guess it's going back... I don't know whether I want to get another
clone on another kind of board, or go to intel and get a Pent 120 for
the same price.

--kmb203@psu.edu----------------Debian/GNU--1.3---Linux--2.0.30---
You have new mail in /dev/null