Re: Gigabyte 586S and Cyrix 200+ (was Dual Pentium Machines)

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Kevin M. Bealer wrote:

> "Kevin M. Bealer" wrote:

> Following up on this:
>
> After:
>
> 1) installing set6x86
> 2) Setting all BIOS settings to maximum delay timings (for RAM)
> 3) Setting the ISA bus frequency to 7.159 MHz (lowest setting)
>    (only my CDROM, modem, and ethernet card are on the ISA anyway.)
>
> Everything seems to be stable.  The serial ports don't work as
> far as I can tell, but the modem works fine, and the PS/2 mouse
> works fine.

Just a suggestion, but if you bought a board it should be able to run at
'normal' clock rates and not require adjusting like that. IMHO you have
some kind of faulty hardware if this is required. You might have some
device/memory/whatever that doesn't like the 75MHz bus speed however...

I had a board that would nuke Win95 in some strange cases, mostly due to
PCI bustmastering it seemed, turned out to be bad ram -- though the ram
didn't fail any of the tests the supplier put it through after I told him
about it. I'm sure if I put linux on it I would see symptoms like you do,
crashing during kernel compiles and such.

Is this a 430TX based MB?

Jason