Re: ip-up question

aa204@acorn.net (Jim Foltz) writes:

> Is it safe to put these lines in the /etc/ppp/ip-up scripts? $6 is passed
> to the script using the ipparam option of pppd and is the name of the
> user initiating the ppp link.

[snip executing file in home]

Since ip-up is executed as root, that depends on exactly how little
security you want.

If you want to do this, you should probably give up root priviliges
before running ~/ip-up.  But you can't trust $6 anyway, so you'll need
to get the userid from somewhere else.  I use the GID to identify
users in my Perl ip-up script.

--
		Carey Evans  <*>  c.evans@clear.net.nz

"these are not inherent flaws in [NT] -- they don't happen by accident.
 They are the result of deliberate and well-thought-out efforts." - MS