Debian for PPC Macs

Hello,

I want to buy a new box and wonder about some alternatives to the
Intel (compatible ... I think of K6) architecture.  I've got the
following information from Johannes Ramm-Ericson:

> I just came across the following information:
>
> This announcement is from:
>
> Apple PR
>
> Apple Computer, Inc. today announced that it has reduced prices made
> available to resellers on select Power Macintosh 6500 and Macintosh
> Performa 6400 series computers. Effective July 12, 1997, this move cuts
> prices on these popular computers by up to U.S. $300. The price cuts are consistent
> with Apple's strategy of providing the industry's most
> powerful and easy-to-use computers at competitive prices.
>
> ... (some stuff deleted -- ask me if you are interested in the complete text)
>
> The PowerMac 6500 series does not yet fully support MkLinux
> but there are people who have reported being able to install it.
>
> Also, some have installed Linux for PMacs (www.linuxppc.org)
> on the 6500 series.
What about Debian on Macs? If I'm right, in the unstable times of bo there
was a binary-m68k - tree.  This tree now has moved to unstable/hamm.
Does this mean that Linux for Macs is only unstable??

I havn't compared the contents of the m68k tree with the i386 tree.  Is the
amount of packages the same?

I need a very stable system on my new box because I will use it far distant
from the internet (the prices of phone calls are quite high in Germany).
I can't relay on the good support of the mailing lists and can't load some
packages via ftp.

Is there anybody who would recommend to by a PowerMac if it is the better
(faster) hardware or shoul I stick to the Intel compatible?

Thanks for advance

   Andreas.