Re: Smail configuration

     In smailconfig, you must choose option (1), then after several
more questions, you give your ISP's mail server's name in response to:

"Do you have a smarthost available (and accessible via SMTP) ?

A smarthost is a system to which you forward mail you don't want to
deliver yourself; it presumably has better connectivity or routing
information than you do.  Commercial providers usually provide a
smarthost for their customers, and large organisations will often have
a site mail switch which can be used.  Use of a smarthost is strongly
recommended (you'll be able to specify exactly when to use it soon).

If a smarthost is available please enter its name (otherwise, `none').
Enter value (`x' to restart):"

     Then choose (1) to the following:

"Do you wish to use the smarthost for:
 (1) All outbound mail.  This is good if your system is poorly
    connected, eg via dialup SLIP, as you don't have to talk
    to distant machines yourself, and it allows you to send out
    just one copy of a message for all its the remote recipients.
 (2) Mail that you have failed to find a way to route.  This
    means that mail for any unknown hosts or domains will be
    sent to the smarthost in the hope that it will know better;
    if it doesn't the smarthost should bounce it back to you.
    This is recommended for most situations, and usually results
    in faster end-to-end delivery than always using the smarthost.
 (3) Only mail to the `awkward' UUCP and BITNET domains.
    These domains don't appear in the Internet routing tables,
    and how to reach them varies depending on your location.
    Use this if your smarthost's admin has asked you to avoid using
    the smarthost unnecessarily, or if it is unreliable or very slow.
Select a number from 1 to 3, from the list above."

     This will give the results that I think the original poster was
looking for.

Bob

0