Re: Newbie Question

Bob Nielsen wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, David Wilde wrote:
>
> > Firstly let me say that I have never used Linux and I am learning as I go
> > along.
> >
> > I have installed debian ver 1.2 on a second hard drive on my PC. I didn't
> > encounter any real problems during installation so I assume everything is OK.
> > Now I would like to install a GUI (fvwm) and I have downloaded a copy of
> > the same from the Web. I copied the file onto a floppy but I cannot access
> > my A:/ drive.
>
> If you configure Linux for networking, you will be able to access the
> Internet directly via your ISP.  You can then use dselect to retrieve and
> install Debian packages directly from ftp.debian.org or its mirrors.
>

> > During startup I have established the following:
> >
> >       hda1  is my DOS drive containing Win95
> >       hdb   is my CDROM
> >       hdc1  is my Linux Swap
> >       hdc2  is my Linux Native
> >       fd0   is my 1.44M Floppy
> >
> > I used the command  "df" and all it shows is:
> >
> >       /dev/hdc2
> >
> > Why can I not see/access my other drives? Have I not done something? Any
> > help would be much appreciated.
>
> You have to mount the partitions before Linux can access them.  See the
> man pages on mount and fstab.  ('man mount' and 'man fstab')
>
> To mount your floppy drive, you should use something like:
>
> mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt,
>
> where this drive will show up in your file system as /mnt.
>
>[some stuff deleted...]

Hi David,

all what Bob sayed is OK. But I never mount a floppy disk. I prefer to
access it either with the "tar" commmand or - if I want to transfer
files to a DOS/WIN-PC - with the "mtools". "tar" should always be
installed on your system and the "mtools" package you may found in the
section misc. If you have knowlege of DOS, the use of the mtools
commands is very easy:

DOS               mtools
------------------------------
dir a:            mdir a:
copy *.* a:       mcopy * a:
cd \my.dir        mcd /my.dir

and so on. But don't forget to "protect" the asterisk, if you specify it
on the floppy part of the command:

mcopy "a:*" .

otherwise the shell wants to replace it with all filenames in the
current directory (see man bash - or whatever shell you use).

Hope that helps.

-CU
--
Karlheinz Nolte