PPP connection dying

Still having problems keeping ppp from dying out.  Telnet works
without any problems whatsoever.  So does ping.  FTP and Netscape
seem to be the biggest problems.  FTP works fine until I begin
downloading files.  It works for awhile, then my whole ppp connection
begins to hang.  Same with netscape.  I can connect to a site or
two, but soon enough it just hangs the whole connection.

I have to kill all the processes to get out and then reboot the
machine or redial 30 or so times to get a connection started again.

Can anyone give me any ideas?  I need help desparately.

Casey