dpkg on non-debian systems?

Hi!

I'm new on the list, sorry if beating a dead  horse, or going off-topic.

I'm searching  for opinions if dpkg  would  be useable on non-debian systems
for package management. If the answer is yes, what are the bottlenecks of
the process of porting? If no, what kind of other system would suffice?
I would like to hear about opinions concerning the Righ Way Of Layout as
well.

Why?

We all  know how freshly installed unix systems looks like. One thing they
badly need is a set of common utilities like sudo, bash, ssh, gcc, gnu make,
etc. If there are more than one flavour of unixen to deal with, installing
GNU tools like fileutils and textutils seems to be a Good Thing because we
will have far less problems because of the altering command line options,
and slightly different behaviour. When talking about some six different unix
platforms, tens of packages and hundreds of hosts (our site setup), the
slackware-style "targz and /install/config.sh" package management doesn't
seems to be enough. I am looking for  an easily-manageable solution with
version numbering, easy upgrade with dependency check, and possibility of
clean uninstall.

The Righ Way Of Layout

Changing every tool on the machine  doesn't seems to be a viable option, as
there are applications which expect everything in the way as the fresh
install done it, and/or bug-compatible with them. I think that the "put
everything in /usr/local" approach would be nicer, but /etc/passwd looks a
bit silly in /usr/local. I  thought that the same layout as the debian
filesystem standard rules it  but shifted with /usr/local would be a good
starting point, with  exceptions. I could think of two exceptions so far.
one is /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, the other is the rc files. There are two
approaches with them. With the passwd files and the like nothing to do but
save the original state somewhere (is it easy with dpkg? I mean the
_original_, not the last one). With the rc files I can imagine one rc file on
the original place which would start the ones in the new space. I still need
some way to completely undo the changes and know  which  files have been
added, modified or deleted on the original fs space.

Thank you for your opinions.
---
GNU GPL: csak tiszta forrásból