Re: XF86 3.3-3

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, H Huang wrote:
[cut]
> I think the problem has something to do with certain newly added features of
> XFree86-3.3, some of which actually are still in beta test stage.

Possible, but should beta options be enabled in a stable package by
default?

> I've got a clgd 5428 card. Although X still works after the upgrade, the
> showdow portions of some buttons, scrollbars and arrows are not drawing well.
> The cause is that 3.3 adds some beta acceleration features in the Cirrus
> driver, which does not work well with the 5428 card. I have to disable the
> acceleration to make it work like it did before.
>
> Therefore, the correct procedure to upgrade X (any version) is:
>
> 1) stop X (xdm,startx)
> 2) upgrade the package
> 3) read docs
> 4) configure X.

Pretty much how I did it.  I'm still searching the configs to try to find
bad lines...

Another bit of new info.  I've found (by logging in from a remote
terminal) that after the screen blanks and the keyboard locks up, the X
processes appear to die off, because there aren't any running when I log
in remotely...