Re: Kernel Question

On 8 Jul 1997, Emilio Lopes wrote:

> JHV> By any chance were you compiling in an X Window?  Recently, when
> JHV> I recompiled my kernel I got all sorts of weird errors like this
> JHV> in an rxvt.  But when I tried again from the console, everything
> JHV> was fine.  Don't ask me why.  Try it and see if it makes a
> JHV> difference.  If not, you probably have hardware problems as was
> JHV> suggested.
>
> Maybe it's because you freed memory when left X.

But X was still running.  In fact even that rxvt was still running.  All
that changed was I pressed C-A-1 to return to text mode and did the exact
same thing from a bash prompt.  And the machine has 64MB of RAM and 128MB
of swap.  So I'll take your word for it but it still sounds a little fishy
to me.

Further illumination gratefully accepted,

-- Jaldhar