Re: How to compile kernel with debian?

MS> I used to have a slackware system and thus got used to the old
MS> rigamorole involved in compiling a new kernel.  However, with
MS> debian, there seems to be more steps involved (at least, there are
MS> debian readmes distributed with the kernel source, and supposedly
MS> some sort of debian makefile).

MS> Can somebody please explain or point me towards where it is
MS> explained just exactly what is different between compiling a
MS> kernel on debian and compiling a kernel 'normally'.

You can do everything the same way you did, but there are tools to
make things a lot simpler.

Install the package "kernel-package", take a look at its readme. Here
is the relevant info:

    For the Brave and the impatient:
   1% cd <kernel source tree>
   2% make config   # or make menuconfig or make xconfig and configure
   3% make-kpkg clean
   4% make-kpkg -r=custom.1.0 kernel_image
   5% dpkg -i ../kernel-image-X.XXX_1.0_<arch>.deb
   6% shutdown -r now # If and only if LILO worked or you have a means of
                      # booting the new kernel. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

--
 Emilio C. Lopes <mailto:Emilio.Lopes@Physik.TU-Muenchen.DE>