Re: Problem with shell path in passwd

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Robert Steward wrote:

> Help!
>
>     I have installed debian 1.3 Linux on my pentium PC however, upon
> changing the default root and user shells in the
> /etc/passwd to /bin/tcsh I can no longer login as root. The computer logs
> in but /bin/tsch is not found and logs straight out
> again! I have tried ftp to this computer but it still looks for this file.
> Is there anyway to change the boot up/login  process so it
> does not look at this file but uses a default, or can one use the passwd
> file on the rescue disk or custom boot disk( which is
> what I use to boot the computer anyway).Or is there any other way to fix
> this?

Dont know why you cant login as root now, but it is prolly a good idea to
keep bash as the root login shell anyway.

I think you can get access to your /etc directory using a rescue disk:

-boot up using a rescue disk.  I think there will be a menu item to mount
a partition.  If so, you want to do that.

-Now, get to a shell.  Last menu item I think.

-cd to /  Try to figure what the mount point for the partition you mounted
is.  I think it might be /mnt  If so, cd /mnt/etc  will put you in the
/etc directory of your original system.

-use the ae editor to fix whats broke.  No other editors will be
available.  Shutdown and reboot.

-if you need to manually mount your original systems root partition, you
can (from shell):
 cd /
 mkdir fixit
 mount /dev/hda3 /fixit

now, cd /fixit/etc will put you in your original systems etc directory.
This example assumes that your linux system is in hda3.

Needless to say, there are quite a few menu items on the rescue disk which
could destroy any and all information on your hard disk.

Mike Taylor