Re: PPP (fwd)

>> As root I have no problems connecting to my ISP using PPP.
>> However when trying to connect as a normal user the connection
>> drops after the serial connection is established.  I've checkde and
>> rechecked file permissions and they seem correct.  Couldn't under-
>> stand the ioctl manual page and am not sure what ioctl is or why it
>> is screaming.  I've been working at this for about 4 hours now and
>> have run out of ideas.  Would someone out there be willing to help
>> point me in the right direction?

i'm having the exact same trouble. in Debian 1.2, i had a pon button on
the desktop of my main userid (mattyt). now i have to su to root everytime
to pon or poff.

>It's simply a matter about group permissions. Put your son's and your
>user name into "/etc/group" making both members of the same group to
>which "/usr/sbin/pppd" belongs to:
>
>	[pseelig]/home/pseelig > v /usr/sbin/pppd
>	-rwsr-xr--   1 root     dip    76072 Mar  2 03:29 /usr/sbin/pppd
>                               ^^^
>
>So the entry in "/etc/group" has to be:
>
>	dip:*:30:yourson,hisfather

i had already chowned /usr/sbin/pppd to mattyt, along with all the other
files necessary (messy, i know, but i'm the only user on my machine), so i
didn't think this would work, and it didn't. i still get the same messages
as jess mentioned in my plog after attempting pon as mattyt.

any other suggestions?

matty

p.s. thanks for your reply, paul. :)