Re: Well tested mode lines fail with 1.3.1

Brandon Mitchell wrote:
>Can anyone verify that well tested mode lines, used with older X servers,
>fail with the latest X servers in 1.3.1?  Sorry for making this so long,
>but I didn't want to leave anything out.
>
>Here's the info:
>--- dpkg --list xserver-s3:
>||/ Name            Version        Description
>+++-===============-==============-============================================
>ii  xserver-s3      3.3-3          X server for S3-based graphics cards
>
>--- Error message:
>(--) S3: Diamond Stealth BIOS found
>(**) S3: videoram:  1024k
>(**) S3: Ramdac type: s3_trio64
>(--) S3: Ramdac speed: 135 MHz
>(**) S3: Using Trio32/64 programmable clock (MCLK 59.957 MHz)
(clip)

This happened here as well, and I also have an S3.

I had my old modes configured, but I had to readjust the monitor every
time I switched text -> X -> text -> etc.  Now X rejected those modes,
so I edited a "close" modeline into a working one as per
"Videomodes.doc" and now it works, and the screens text->X match up.

I had given up on getting the old mode to line up, but when I redid
the config, it seemed fairly easy.  Did I ...  a) know more, b) get
the better luck of the draw, or c) a bug was fixed, and the new server
guided me by rejecting my "broken" config?

By the way, my card is not a Diamond Stealth, but rather an
on-the-motherboard S3 on an IBM motherboard.  Quite fast for a 486,
but this weekend the new MB and the Matrox go in (hopefully).

I think mine is the 805 chipset, if anyone is trying to figure out
what happened.  Maybe the changelogs say something.

--kmb203@psu.edu----------------Debian/GNU--1.3---Linux--2.0.30---
Programming is always harder than doing the same task manually.
It's hard because you must completely understand the problem,
take everything into consideration, and protect against every
possible flaw.  Then you never have to do it manually again.
The great driving force behind programming is the fervent
devotion to laziness:  you wage a war to save typing later.