fs type vfat not supported by kernel?

I'm running debian 1.3  2.0.29
When I mount my vfat Win95 partition manually with the command:

# mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /Win95

It works fine, and I can access the partition, long filenames and all.

# mount
/dev/hda2 on / type ext2 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hda5 on /home type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /usr type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /Win95 type vfat (rw)

But when I put the command in /etc/fstab I get an error message.
Here is my /etc/fstab file:

#
/dev/hda2               /               ext2    defaults    0       1
/dev/hda7               none            swap    sw          0       0
proc                /proc           proc    defaults    0       0
/dev/hda5   /home   ext2    defaults      0   2
/dev/hda6   /usr   ext2    defaults      0   2
/dev/hda1   /Win95   vfat    defaults      0   2

During boot, I see this message:

Mounting local file systems ...
/dev/hda5 on /home type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /usr type ext2 (rw)
mount: fs type vfat not supported by kernel

I get exactly the same results with my scsi drive.  I am confused by the
fact that I can mount vfat partitions manually.  Can anyone tell me how to
make vfat work in /etc/fstab?

Thanks
David Densmore <dden@rollanet.org>