Re: PPP

In article <[🔎] 33C19EE4.1E21@qnis.net>,
	jsa@qnis.net writes:

> As root I have no problems connecting to my ISP using PPP.
> However when trying to connect as a normal user the connection
> drops after the serial connection is established.  I've checkde and
> rechecked file permissions and they seem correct.  Couldn't under-
> stand the ioctl manual page and am not sure what ioctl is or why it
> is screaming.  I've been working at this for about 4 hours now and
> have run out of ideas.  Would someone out there be willing to help
> point me in the right direction?

It's simply a matter about group permissions. Put your son's and your
user name into "/etc/group" making both members of the same group to
which "/usr/sbin/pppd" belongs to:

	[pseelig]/home/pseelig > v /usr/sbin/pppd
	-rwsr-xr--   1 root     dip    76072 Mar  2 03:29 /usr/sbin/pppd
                                ^^^

So the entry in "/etc/group" has to be:

	dip:*:30:yourson,hisfather

Check the man page for "group" to find an explanation of this. And if
you want your son to make his homework instead surfing the net simply
remove his user name entry from "/etc/group". Just don't give him the
root password ;-).
                                  Cheers, P *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de