Re: diald problems...

On Mon, 07 Jul 1997 13:19:36 PDT Stephen Witt (witt@dac.pairgain.com)
wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to set diald up at home.  I'm using Debian 1.3.  My
> network connection  is a modem using PPP to my ISP.  My ISP
> dynamically assigns both local and remote  IP addresses for this
> link.  I've been using PPP manually for some time now, so  have a
> working connection script.  The symptoms of the problem are that if I
> try to  do something that requires the network to be up, diald dials,
> connects to my ISP, and the PPP link seems to get setup properly.
> However, I can send no traffic to my ISP. In examining the routing
> table, is seems that the only route to my ISP is a host route that is
> set up when the PPP network interface is configured.

Can you ping the ISP's machine or telnet to it ?

> There is a
> default route to the SLIP network interface.  I'm using the
> 'defaultroute' option in diald (my diald.options file is included
> below), which sets this route up initially.  I was sort of expecting
> that this route would be deleted and a new default route added for
> the PPP interface.

Generally, diald has two modes of operation once the link is up:
1) it can use reroute, in which case it doesn't create a new default
route, but diald forwards the packets itself,
2) without reroute, it creates a new default route, with a lower
metric, and the kernel will chosse this route.

> If I manually do delete the default route and add
> a new one for the PPP interface, everything works fine as now I have
> both a good network interface and a route to use it.  If I remove the
> 'defaultroute' option from the diald.options file, then  diald dosn't
> dial (which is the way it works, I understand, as it needs to recv
> pkts at  the psuedo interface to start the dialing process).

Did you remove the defaultroute option from ppp.options ?
You must let diald play with the routes the way it wants...

>From your diald.conf:

> # Network Configuration
> local 192.168.0.1
> remote 192.168.0.2
> dynamic
> strict-forwarding
> mtu 576
> mru 576
> reroute
> defaultroute
> addroute /etc/diald/addroute

What does is addroute script do ?
You might want to drop it and let diald do the route itself.
I'm not sure, but I think that using addroute invalidates defaultroute...

Phil.