Re: fs type vfat not supported by kernel?

You must have the vfat device driver compiled as a module in your kernel.
and

Normally modules are loaded on demand.  (Making your kernel use much less
memory as it doesn't have to load unneeded code.)  There is a daemon
called kerneld which watches for module requests like when you manually
mount the drive and loads the appropriate module.

On bootup your system is attempting to mount the drive before this
module has had a chance to load.

The answer is to edit /etc/modules and add a line saying vfat before any
lines saying auto.  This will cause kerneld to explicitly load the
module instead of waiting till it is called for.  This applies to any
other module too.

-- Jaldhar