Re: mc problem - solved.

J.J.Troup@comp.brad.ac.uk (James Troup) writes:

> [ Redirected to debian.user at Paul Seelig's insistence ]

Thanks a lot! :-)

> Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de> writes:
> >
> > Well, the current mc-3.5.17 is an *old* development version which
> > has since long been superseded by some 31 following patchlevels
> > including serious bug fixing and quite some very worthy new features
> > culminating into the switch from "mc-3.5.48" to "mc-4.0".
>
> And it's 31 patch levels of new and untested (in Debian) code.  Not to
> mention that if you were to release it it would be a new maintainer
> and completely new and untested Debian packaging.

I'd rather see it the other way round. There are 31 patch levels of
serious bug fixing absent from the current Debian package of Midnight
Commander.  Guess why i upgraded MC on my own?  Because the official
maintainer didn't seem to care about the bug fix releases of the
upstream developers and i didn't want to accept working with an
obsolete development version of MC.

My unofficial package is almost completely based on the official
maintainers Debian packaging.  BTW it is out of question that i'd
release a new official mc-4.0 package as a new maintainer.  There is
already a maintainer responsible for the mc package and i do accept
that he wants to keep it.  But i'd wish he kept his maintenance more
oriented toward current upstream releases of MC.

> It's Debian policy (afaik) that as little as possible should go into
> stable after release, and *definitely* as little as possible, if any,
> new upstream releases.

This is very wise but i'd expect as well that stable should feature in
any case released full versions of software instead of obsolete
development releases.  Like i already stated above serious bugfixing
has resulted into mc-4.0 and it is IMHO necessary to make an upgrade
release of mc to the officially released and officially approved final
release of the MC development team.
                                       Thank you, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de