using cable modem with Debian?

Since I'll be installing 1.3 on my brother's machine this Tuesday, I have
a question about cable modems.  Though not strictly limited to Debian, I
thought some folks here might have already gone down this road.

My brother got a net connection from our local cable company.  The tech
who came to install the software (Win95) even knew about Linux and how to
pronounce it correctly (wow!)  He said they did have some problems with
get Linux to work.  The connections would just die random.  Since he
wasn't really well versed in Linux he didn't mention the important details
like which distribution or even kernel version.

What I need to know for Tuesday is how to get Debian to work with the
cable modem.

The modem is connected to the cable company all the time.  The IP address
is dynamically assigned.  Even if the connection goes down for a short
while, the same IP address is used when the connection comes back up.  The
output of the modem goes to an Ethernet card in the machine.

I'll be using diald, unless there is a good reason not to.  Beyond this
I'm not sure how to go.  I saw a DHCPD (or was it DHCPCD?) client as one
of the .deb packages.  My brother said this sounded like what the cable
modem uses now talking to Win95.  Should we install this for Debian?  If
so, how to get it going?

Any help will be most welcome.  Thanks!

	Bob
--
Bob Billson, KC2WZ				  email: kc2wz@intercall.net
  (\       MS-DOS, you can't live with it.  You can live without it.    /)