Re: enlightenment (was Re: Licenses)

Lalo Martins wrote:
> personally like E's license and don't see a good chance of a Windoze port
> anyway... have anyone run X there?

I wouldn't be that pessimistic about a Windows port.  Cygnus's GNU Win/32
libraries/distribution already run most of the GNU tools on Win95/NT.

I attempted to compile dpkg on top of it, and there are only a few
small porting issues to deal with -- I just don't have enough time
to finish off the job.  :-(

I'd say that GNU-Win32 is past the "critical mass" point where it has
implemented enough of libc (and other things) to support an entire
distribution.  There are a few unimplemented features - but they are
only critical for a small subset of the available applications
out there.

It would definitely be possible to run the majority of the Debian
packages on top of a GNU-Win32 base (if we had the packaging
system working for it).

Personally, I refrain from calling Microsoft's product "Windoze"
and I generally wish them the best.  Every person I've ever
met who worked for Microsoft has been extremely intelligent
and a heck of a salesperson (even the programmers).

That being said, in the long run, Microsoft doesn't stand a chance
competing against the Free Software OS's - we're just a larger,
better communicating, more diverse, more anarchaic bunch of
guys and gals.

Besides slagging Microsoft could come back to haunt you when
a certain billionaire (or two) from Seattle offers to buy your
company.  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim