Re: HELP!!! dpkg messed up X11 (?)

> > That a mistake by the maintainer, and archive maintainer is on vacation, so
> > this problem never got corrected.  It will be corrected with next release of
> > libc5, I assume.
> >

> > > Always with the same error:
> > >
> > > ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/X11R6/lib/usr/lib/libc5-compat
> > > (No such file or directory), skipping
> >

> > This is not the problem.  libc5 installs this directory, but it is empty, so
> > that's why there is the error, I assume.  It shouldn't prevent you from
> > running anything though.
>
> Wait a second, guys! I looked up the beginning of this discussion and
> noticed that you were downloading "stable" packages. I assume
> therefore that you have "bo" (or "rex") installed. The problems you
> are mentioning are surely "hamm" - relevant.

no, stable libc5 includes libc5-compat directory.  In fact, stable libc5 is of
later version that the one in unstable for whatever reason.  I do have to
retract my suggestion to install ldso from unstable, as downgrading back may
cause a multitude of problems.  I just checked, and xpm4.7 (one of the
libraries reported not to load) is symlinked to bo in hamm, and hasn't been
updated for a while (since march 20), so my guess that this is the problem with
altdev packages is clearly wrong and upgrading to new ldso shouldn't be needed.

HTH.
--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com