Re: HELP!!! dpkg messed up X11 (?)

> That a mistake by the maintainer, and archive maintainer is on vacation, so
> this problem never got corrected.  It will be corrected with next release of
> libc5, I assume.
>

> > Always with the same error:
> >
> > ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/X11R6/lib/usr/lib/libc5-compat
> > (No such file or directory), skipping
>

> This is not the problem.  libc5 installs this directory, but it is empty, so
> that's why there is the error, I assume.  It shouldn't prevent you from
> running anything though.

Wait a second, guys! I looked up the beginning of this discussion and
noticed that you were downloading "stable" packages. I assume
therefore that you have "bo" (or "rex") installed. The problems you
are mentioning are surely "hamm" - relevant. Note: upgrading from
unstable in current situation will not work as it was before due to
libc5-libc6 transition! Do not install anything from "unstable",
especially developmental packages, unless you have complete
understanding what you are doing!

The solution in your case would be to "downgrade" everything you have
from "unstable" to "stable" versions.

Alex Y.

--
   _
 _( )_
 |    \ __/   <--   | Alexander Yukhimets   aqy6633@is5.nyu.edu |
 |        |         |       http://pages.nyu.edu/~aqy6633/      |
   |  (___)                            ooO Ooo
    \___)