Re: It still don't work......

to make an 8 meg swap file called swap1 in the current directory:
dd if=/dev/zero of=swap1 bs=1024 count=8192
mkswap swap1 8192
sync
swapon swap1

But swap files are slower and can potentially cause problems, so swap
partitions are prefered.  Just make the swap partition large enough that
you don't need a swap file for normal use (only experience and a lot of
free commands can tell you how big this is).  Then only add the swap files
when the system under higher than normal load.  I think there is a program
that adds swap when needed automatically, but this just adds more load to
a system, and if I was ever in need of squeezing every bit out of this
harddrive, I'd delete the .75 gig mirror I have sitting around :-)

HTH,
Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell                         E-mail: bhmit1@mail.wm.edu
  Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/7877/home.html

"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
	--Linus Torvalds