Re: off topic: password strategy as an ISP

We use the following strategy:

1) Generate a list of passwords with pwgen

2) On a SP2 supercomputer, try to crack them (after feeding them
through crypt).

3) Those who can't be cracked go into a safe, to be allocated when
users sign up.

The company I work for was very badly hacked (rm -fR *), which is how
I got my job (as a repairman!). They are now somewhat paranoid!

Just as a Debian is cool story:

When they lost all their servers they were running Slacware 2
(shudders!). I refused to rebuild the system with Slackware so they
said, "OK, use Redhat". I installed Redhat (2 I think) and managed to
crack it within a week.

So I put Debian 1.2.4 on (I'd been using Debian in a research
environment for some time), and since then I've seen a few attempts in
the logs, but as far as I know no-one has got in who shouldn't!

I'm not so naive as to believe that Debian is 100% secure (that's
impossible I reckon), but it seems to cope OK for a smallish ISP. I
find some interesting things in the logs, like 500 consecutive
attempts to telnet from the one source, but as we've disabled shell
access for dial-in clients it'll just give them motd if they do get in
that way!

On the subject of pwgen though, there is a definate pattern to the
passwords it generates. This does concern me a bit.

John Foster