Re: rxvt ignores x resource settings?

Tad Kollar wrote:

> I wonder if rxvt doesn't bother using the resource manager and just
> tries to look in certain files. The man page seems to suggest this.

Mine doesn't.  Version 2.21's Man page says:

       rxvt accepts application defaults set in  XAPPLOADDIR/Rxvt
       (compile-time     defined:    usually    /usr/lib/X11/app-
       defaults/Rxvt)  and  resources  set  in  ~/.Xdefaults   or
       ~/.Xresources.   Note  that when reading X resources, rxvt
       recognizes two class names: XTerm  and  Rxvt.   The  class
       name  XTerm allows resources common to both rxvt and xterm
       to be easily configured, while the class name Rxvt  allows
       resources unique to rxvt, notably colors and key-handling,
       to be shared between different rxvt configurations.  If no
       resources  are  specified, suitable defaults will be used.
       Command-line arguments can be used  to  override  resource
       settings.  The following resources are allowed:

I tried this in .Xdefaults:

Rxvt*background:        DarkSeaGreen
Rxvt*foreground:        black

It worked for rxvt v2.20 (ships with XFree-3.3) and for the newer
rxvt 2.21.
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist             <galbraith@mixing.qc.dfo.ca>
Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada