Re: xterm problem hint <fixed?>

Christian Lynbech wrote:

> Peter> So I'm *not* using the `xterm' supplied by Debian.
>
> Ok, it could explain why it works for me, but not for you, but I would
> still say that it is strange that it does not just work.
>
> Just to exclude the possibility that they are hardwiring something
> silly for the terminfo path, you could try to set TERMINFO to point to
> /usr/lib/terminfo (and check that xterm, which is a link on my
> machine, points to something usable).
>
> Another problem, which perhaps is more likely, could be if the xterm
> wants to do something fancy, but is missing the relevant terminal
> capability in the existing xterm entry. You might want to compare your
> ..Xdefaults and /.../app-defaults/XTerm with the xterm manpage.
>
> If you want to compare terminfo entries, you can use the program
> `infocmp'.
>
> If you have the stomach for it, you could also try to run it as
>
> 	trace `which xterm`
>
> (trace or strace, I can never remember which is linux and which is
> SGI). Perhaps it could give you a clue.

This is the first thing I tried.  Near the end of the output, I got:

open("/etc/termcap", O_RDONLY)          = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
write(2, "/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm:  unable to"..., 60/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm:  unable to find usable termcap entry.
) = 60

So I copied /etc/termcap over from my old Slackware partition, and now
xterm works!

I don't pretend to understand any of this termcap vs terminfo stuff,
but I will try to get xterm to work using terminfo rather than /etc/termcap
if that would be useful.

Thanks for all your help Christian!
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist             <galbraith@mixing.qc.dfo.ca>
Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada