Re: .gz ??? what, how?

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> > > This is not readable by an editor.  Is there something special about the
> > > .gz??

<<snip>>
> (Funny how an non-Debian specific question still generates so many

Not really. What we have here is a real problem for the newbies.

To access the documentation you really need to be able to access
the documentation. Then you can determine what is (and isn't) a Debian
specific issue. Having a system which can hold the newbies' hand till
they can walk for themselves has probably never been a design goal for
Debian, but I think that the user base is growing at such a rate that
it could be time...

Perhaps there should be a quick intro to gzip, zless and zcat in the
opening scripts (just after the first dselect run?).

John Foster