Re: Help please: /dev/printer disappeared

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Rolf Obrecht wrote:

 : Unfortunately, it contained all(?) device files in /dev; as a result,
 : the machine didn't boot anymore since it was "unable to open an initial
 : console". Booting from rescue disk, mounting the harddrive to /target and
 : extracting the previously (on a different machine) generated tar file
 : containing the device-files solved the problem, but: /dev/printer still
 : doesn't exist.
 :
 : Calling "MAKEDEV printer" only gives me "MAKEDEV: out of space for
 : devices".
 :
 : HOW can I re-create this socket?? (I would like to be able to print
 : some urgent and important files, but without /dev/printer.....)

As far as I know, /dev/printer is a symlink to /dev/lp0 or whatever port
your default printer is on.

Checkout /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt for the correct minor and
major numbers for this device.

Remco.

--
// Remco van de Meent