Help please: /dev/printer disappeared

Hello,

Due to my impatience, I purged the old "base"-package after upgrading to
1.3 (it was listed as "obsolete" in dselect) without looking at it's
contents first :-(

Unfortunately, it contained all(?) device files in /dev; as a result,
the machine didn't boot anymore since it was "unable to open an initial
console". Booting from rescue disk, mounting the harddrive to /target and
extracting the previously (on a different machine) generated tar file
containing the device-files solved the problem, but: /dev/printer still
doesn't exist.

Calling "MAKEDEV printer" only gives me "MAKEDEV: out of space for
devices".

HOW can I re-create this socket?? (I would like to be able to print
some urgent and important files, but without /dev/printer.....)

Any help appreciated

Rolf Obrecht
Institut fuer Elektrische Maschinen
RWTH Aachen