Re: Compiling a new kernel

> In the instructions that came with the kernel source package, Linus
> recommends making symlinks in the include directory to directories in the
> usr/src/linux/arch directory.
>
> I also remember reading that libc5-dev contains a set of headers.
>
> Someone on the list recommended that the directories in the include
> directory shoudln't be deleted and made into symlinks. Is this correct?

Yes, it's correct. But it's got very little (actually nothing) to
do with compiling the kernel (the symlinks you are talking about is
so that user-programmes can see parts of the kernel, something
that nowadays isn't very usefull any more. That's why Debian libc5,
and anyone's glibc(=libc6) do it differently).

> Also is glibc the same as libc6?

Yes.

> if so why?

Basically, because glibc comes after libc5. The soname
of libc5 is, you guessed it, "5". Because gnu libc is a major step
forward, the soname had to be changed (increased).
This leaves us with a gnu libc that has a soname 6, and thus we
(and the rest of the linux world) call it libc6.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj