Re: Matlab for Debian?

Shaya Potter writes:

>On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Mark Phillips wrote:
>

>> Can you get Matlab for Debian?  Someone told me that Matlab is
>> only supported by RedHat.  Does anyone know?
>>

>In many cases, the companies ship the products as .rpm's.  Therefore they
>only "support" it on RedHat, but since we both conform to the FSSTND, you
>should ("should" not "can"), be able to install it on a debian system with
>alien.
>
>Shaya

It comes on a multi *nix-platform CD that has a text or X based
install program that installs the package on your system, it does not
come in a 'package' file.  They(Mathworks) have just tested it under
Redhat and Slackware.  There is a bug in the 5.0 version for Linux for
printing figures with symbols, they have a "beta" binary drop in
replacement for download on there ftp site that fixes the problem.
(ftp://ftp.mathworks.com/pub/mathworks/bin/unix/lnx86/matlab.5.1.beta.Z)
You also have to download a library file(libstdc++.so.27.1.4) to make
it work on Debian, check out
http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/v4/7571.html, it deals
directly with Debian.

Brian