Re: Debian got slammed

On Fri, Jun 27, 1997 at 12:54:01PM -0600, Rick Hawkins wrote:
> It would be nice if he got his facts straight, though.
>
> The need for six disks for cd installation, for example.  I installed it
> on a friends cd with two, which was two more than I needed.  I think one
> of the installs on this machine was entirely from dos with loadlin.
> Even if one makes tow disks, there's absolutely no reason not to put
> base1_3.tgz onto the hard drive . . .

Maybe his facts are straight. Some other people suggested
he was just plain stupid. I think we should find out what gave
him his impressions first; it may well be that he is stupid,
but we should find out first. For example, you did indeed
need 6 floppies for Debian 1.2 installation, and 5 for
Debian 1.1 installation. Debian 1.3 hasn't been out long,
can we assume that he did 1.3 but used all six anyway?
I wouldn't.

> However, I do have to agree that the select program is *painfully* slow.
> Particularly with the modules; it scans for modules (several seconds on
> a 486/33) each time it changes to a modules screen.

Never have had the modules screen show the "+" markers
properly, to say that a module is installed. Only done
complete installation 3 times though. Must be up to 10
Windows 95 just here at home among three PCs ..

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust                    moffatt@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.