Re: Debian got slammed

On Fri, Jun 27, 1997 at 05:51:24PM +0000, Leandro Asnaghi-Nicastro wrote:
> On This Day, In The Year Of Our Lord 27 Jun 97 at 14:31.
>  "Re: Debian got slammed" by debian-user@lists.debian.org:
> > Saying Slackware is in any real way preferable to Debian is damn stupid.
>
>     Depends from points of views, of course.  At work we have three
>     machines running Linux.  Since we had no idea which was better, one
>     is running Debian, one is running Slackware, and one is running
>     RedHat.  I personally prefer the Debian machine, but the programmers
>     say the RedHat is better, for options, {technical blabber here}, and
>     bootable CD.
>
>     At home I installed Slackware because a friend gave me a set of CDs
>     and I haven't really paid much attention to it, but it does what I
>     want it to do.  I'm not exactly a  Linux power user, in fact I think
>     the programs that get most use from me are Pine and Pico.

Slackware's problem is that the term "package management" is,
for them, a misnomer; there is package installation, and
some attempt at package removal, but there is absolutely no upgrade
path, and that page that was mention did point this out.
The installation interface is reasonably straightforward
(well, it was when I used 2.3). But once you installed the system
once, you never really used the packages again; they're aren't
that many of them. You end up compiling your own upgrades
to almost everything. I remember doing a Slackware 2.3 -> ELF
upgrade, following the ELF how-to. Argh. Recompiling ld.so
and stuff. Debian shows that there is no need.

I had a Slackware 2.3 + ELF conversion system, and it was a big
mess; all sorts of stuff everywhere. Then I nuked it all
and installed Debian. Very nice, have been using this for
about 10 months now. All three of my Linux systems use it.
Two were Slackware converts, the third started with Debian (1.2).

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust                    moffatt@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.