Re: Why is pine so slow?

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Shaya Potter wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Leandro Asnaghi-Nicastro wrote:
>
> > >I use Debian 1.2/Linux 2.0.29 and the Pine 3.96 package.
> > >But, when I send mail with it, it is very slow (it takes about 1 ou 2
> > >minutes to send a message).
> >
> >         Could it be that the connection with the mail server is slow?  If
> > you are on a dial-up and you are using POP3, depending on the speed of your
> > connection, the mail server will take it's sweet time.
> >

> I'm not so sure, I am using sendmail on my linux box, and pine is slow
> with it.

I get the same with smail and I'm not using a smarthost. I think it could
be an smail or pine config thing, because you would think that smail would
accept the mail right away and pine would continue. Makes me think that it
makes an initial delivery attempt at the time. I know that when I have
mail in the retry spool, pine runs normally.

If somebody already knows about this, please post it.