gpc problems

I'm having problems with gpc. ld complains that it cant find -lgpc. I was
told that I may be missing a symlink. I checked and found that libgpc.so.2
is linked to libgpc.so.2.8. I thought something must have been screwed up
somewhere along the line so I removed gpc, libgpc2, and gpcdoc. I reinstalled
and got the following output:

Mail/              gpc-doc_2.0-3.deb  mail/              test.pas
News/              gpc_2.0-3.deb      rc2.d/
Packages           libgpc2_2.0-3.deb  rc6.d/
debian:~# dpkg -i *.deb
Selecting previously deselected package gpc-doc.
(Reading database ... 91419 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking gpc-doc (from gpc-doc_2.0-3.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package gpc.
Unpacking gpc (from gpc_2.0-3.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libgpc2.
Unpacking libgpc2 (from libgpc2_2.0-3.deb) ...
Setting up gpc-doc (2.0-3) ...

Setting up libgpc2 (2.0-3) ...
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so (No such file or directory), skipping
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so (No such file or directory), skipping

Setting up gpc (2.0-3) ...
debian:~#

What have I missed installing to cause these errors. I checked all the
dependencies in the packages file and all checked out. I did recently
install libc6. Could this cause a problem with the libc5 requirement?

Thanks in advance.