Re: Why is pine so slow?

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Paul Wade wrote:

> I did this and it works fine. I didn't want to change to a smarthost
> because smail is set up for my needs. Thanks.
>
> On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Colin R. Telmer wrote:
>
> > sendmail-path=/usr/lib/sendmail -oem -t -oi
> >
> > This made my pine lightning fast without the possible problems of using
> > the background sending option.

Alternatively, as some others have suggested, you may configure
smpt-server instead to make Pine send the message to your SMTP server
instead of waiting for sendmail.  I used the following in my
/etc/pine.conf and /etc/pine.conf.fixed  (I couldn't decide...<grin>):

  # List of SMTP servers for sending mail. If blank: Unix Pine uses sendmail.
  smtp-server=localhost

This fixed the problem for me.  It works great with both smail and exim.
BTW, I found the following in /usr/doc/pine/tech-notes/config-notes.html:

  SMTP Servers

    It is sometimes desireable to set smtp-server=localhost instead of
    setting sendmail-path to overcome the inability to negotiate ESMTP
    options when sendmail is invoked with the -t option. Sendmail can also
    be subject to unacceptable delays due to slow DNS lookups and other
    problems.

Hope this helps.  :)

Anthony

--