Re: Problem with sendfax?

Jens B. Jorgensen writes:

> > Sendfax can only handle Class 2, IIRC Class 1 is time critical which
> > cannot guaranteed under unix.
>
> Yada, yada, yada. I believe you are correct. I've never had a problem

Ah, then my memory isn't that bad.

> though!! Hey, nothing in life is "guaranteed". Also, since we're being

Err, ok, but Linux programmers know that they can't guarantee time
critical stuff and don't try to implement something (bad). :-)

> picky, sendfax can handle class 2 & class 2.0, which are not the same

> > Ah, interesting, hopefully I'm also allowed to use minicom, cu or
> > kermit as I have Linux installed and I'm not going to install Dos :-)
> > Fine, it can handle 2.0, too.  I might want to expand our Fax service.
> > Thanks a lot!!!
>
> Cool. Save trees! Why print to paper? Why print something in Word/Lyx

That's the main reason I won't go and buy a real fax machine.  Most
faxes that I receive are fine on a hard disk but really a waste of
ink and paper if printed.  Unfortunately I have to print some of them
as some people don't have a pc.

> just to stick it in the fax machine and then toss the hardcopy? I've
> been meaning to set up a "fax server" here where all faxes are received
> via modem and then a thumbnail image is generated and emailed to certain
> people (with MIME and html content) and a URL is stuck in there which

Fine, this works here :-)

> goes to the server allowing them to view the full-size image and allow
> them to print, delete, or hold on to the fax. Especially since we get
> a lot of "junk" faxes, this would reduce paper wastage quite a bit.

When I set up the new machine I plan to do a complete rewrite.  If so
I'll including that into Debian GNU/Linux.

Regards

	Joey

 / The MS-DOS filesystem is nice for removable media             /
/                                             -- H. Peter Anvin /