Re: What good is the default .alias file?

On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Dave Cinege wrote:

:On Tue, 24 Jun 1997 12:05:25 -0400 (EDT), Scott K. Ellis wrote:
:
:>On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Dave Cinege wrote:
:>
:>> What good is the default .alias file in /etc/skel?
:>>
:>> It by default isn't, and I can see my way to execute the damn thing.
:>> If it was in the format:
:>>
:>> alias lsa="ls -a"
:>>
:>> it would be useful. How is this any good?
:>>
:>> alias   a       alias
:>> alias   loada   'source ~/.alias'
:>> alias   loadalias       loada
:>> alias   log     watchlog
:>
:>It is good because it contains csh/tcsh aliases, not bash aliases.  A
:>slightly different beast.
:
:Ahhhhh.
:Next question.....why is it not named .csh_alias  ?

Well, most likely because the C Shell was the first to support aliases.
At that time the bourne shell didn't support much in the way of the
features we're used to now.  So, the logical decision was to name the
file .alias, since it would be such a great feature that noone would
ever have to design or use another shell ...

--
  Nathan Norman    :    Hostmaster CFNI    :    nnorman@cfni.com
    finger nnorman@cfni.com for PGP public key and other stuff