Re: enable 16bit and 24bit

On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, David Puryear wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to enable different depth for different resolutions? What I
> would like to be able to do is:
>
>         8bit for 1024x768 and 320x240
>        16bit for 800x600
>        24bit for 640x480
>
> This way I can do Ctrl-Alt + or - to change depth. I have 1 meg on video card.

AFAIK, no.  It probably has to deal with how screen info is stored on your
video card.  I'm pretty sure it also has to deal with telling your
programs how many colors it has.  When you change resolution, apps, window
managers, etc, aren't effected, the screen just scrolls to handle the
new resolution.

The solution is to start your X session differently.  I currently have an
alias set up to do:
	xinit -- -bpp 16 :1
starting a 16 bit session on the second X screen thingy (sorry, forgot the
technical term :-)

Maybe the X people could work on better interaction between programs and
the X server to add this later.

HTH,
Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell                         E-mail: bhmit1@mail.wm.edu
  Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/7877/home.html

"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
	--Linus Torvalds