Re: more on scsi controllers

On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Rick Hawkins wrote:

> > Try making a 1.3 rescue disk and booting it with the fdomain parameters.
> > If you watch the screen (fast) during boot, you should see whether it got
> > the scsi controller OK or not. If that works, then it's just a matter of
> > configuring the kernel and LILO on your system.
>
> I can't make the floppy at the moment; it seems not to work.  However, I
> now have an appropriate kernel on the machine.  Answering lilo with
>
> Linux fdomain=0x140,11
>
> does not result in loading the module.

This is for passing the parameters to fdomain that is compiled into the
kernel.

> However,
>
> insmod fdomain gives me (roughly; from another screen)
>
> scsi0 <fdomain>: BIOS version 3.4 at 0xc8000 using scsi id 7
> scsi0 <fdomain>: TMC-1830 chip at 0x140 irq 11
> scsi0: Future Domain TMC-16x0 SCSI driver, version 5.44
> scsi : 1 host
>   Vendor NEC   Model:  CD-ROM DRIVE:83  Rev: 1.0
> Type: CD-ROM   ANSI SCSI Revision: 01
> Detected CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, chanel 0, id0, lun0
>
> is /dev/sr0 the correct device, then?

It's acceptable to my system.

> So I tried ./MAKEDEV sr0, which gave me the device.
>
> Then
>
> bash-2.00# mount /dev/sr0 /cdrom -t iso9660
> mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

This is the expected behavior.

> which results in the cd making some noise, and the system hang.

This is not.

> a couple of things:  should it be /dev/scd0, or /dev/sdc0?  it seems to
> be scd, but the howto referss consistently to sdc.

/dev/scd0

> is it possible that it simply needs several minute to load?  There's
> another access a couple of minutes later.

Seconds but not minutes.

This always works for me:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /cdrom

ls -lR /cdrom is a good test

When I get CD errors the messages pop up on whatever virtual console I am
using. Same for the retries. So if the system hangs, I know why.

I think booting from the standard 1.3 kernel will tell us what direction
to go in. If it works, it's only a software problem. If not, then maybe a
bad CD drive. Make sure to try it with more than 1 CD. I have an old
soundblaster 2x that is awfully fussy about the media.

I think the rescue disk kernel will allow you to do something like this:

Boot: Linux fdomain=0x230,11 root=/dev/hda1

in which case you can login and try mounting the CD. You might have to
MAKEDEV scd0 first.

+ Paul Wade                         Greenbush Technologies Corporation +
+ mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com              http://www.greenbush.com/ +