Re: Netscape uses SOCKS host for local servers

Kirk Hilliard wrote:

> > Subject: Re: Netscape uses SOCKS host for local servers
> > Kirk Hilliard wrote:
> >
> > How do I get Netscape to not use a SOCKS host for machines in my local
> > domain?
> >
> > I am running "Mozilla/3.01Gold (X11; I; Linux 2.0.27 i586)" on my
> > Debian 1.2 box, which is on a network behind a (SOCKS 4) firewall.
> > After I set "Options/Network Preferences/Proxies" to "Manual Proxy
> > Configuration" and filled in the "SOCKS Host" field it had no problems
> > getting through to the outside world.  However, it goes through the
> > SOCKS host even to contact local http servers.  (This is a problem
> > because the SOCKS host is in a different building to which I am
> > connected with only 10Kbps pipe.)  I set the "No Proxy for" field to
> > the local domain name but this had no effect.
> >
> > "Mozilla/3.0Gold (WinNT; 1)", similarly set up to use the SOCKS host,
> > connects to local http servers directly, even without an entry in the
> > "No Proxy for" field.
>
> Jens B. Jorgensen replied:
> > If the net you want to be local is, say, 192.168.2.0, (class-C) then
> > in the "No Proxy for" field put '192.168.2.'. Get the idea?
>
> Jens,
>
> Thanks, for the help, but I have tried both this (with and without the
> third dot) and putting the full four byte dotted IP address for the
> server in the field, and it connects but still goes through the SOCKS
> host.  Does this actually work for you?  (One way to find out is to
> use a CGI script which prints out $REMOTE_HOST.)  If so, what version
> of netscape are you using?
>
> I have also tried the symbolic address both for the local net and for
> the server, and all of the above followed by :80 (the port number),
> all to no avail.  Any hints?

Hmmm. Curioser and curioser. When I received this reply I tried to reach
a "local" web server and... it didn't work! I have my socks server
set to *not* forward local-to-local requests, and Netscape *was*
trying to reach the local server through my socks host.

Now, it just so happens that at the time I did this test, I was dialed
out to a remote network (I run WinNT 4.0 Svc Pak 1 while working--
unfortunately this is the platform I develop on). But then, if I
shut down the dial-up connection, then the "No proxy for: 192.168.2."
works just fine. I don't know how this relates to your setup, but
this is clearly a bug.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com