Re: Books on Debian

On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, H.C.Lai wrote:

> David Wright wrote:
> >
> > Two problem(s) with a book: (a) you're really only buying a few pages of
> > Debian-specific stuff which (b) is almost out-of-date before it's
> > published. I'd far rather have just a good annotated bibliography of all
> > the Debianised documentation. As I think I've said before, one really
> > needs to be able to track down and consult documentation in the order
> >
> >   Debian-specific
> >   Linux-specific
> >   Unix-specific
> >

> I agree with you entirely on these two points. To people who has
> installed and
> used Debian before, not having a book is no big deal.

I also agree. Only a few pages of hardcopy are needed. Consider the
candidate for a thick 'Complete Debian' type of book:

1) His hardware is too strange to get base and a few things installed.

2) He has no way to browse a CD.

3) He has no way to view web pages.

4) He can't send/receive email and use this list.

5) He can't print anything.

He needs hardware, connectivity, or friends more than a book.

A complete book would be a convenience to me, but I would rather spend the
money on hardware. I have a lot of 'obsolete' hardware that is still
productive. I can't say the same for most of the software and books that I
purchased. If I had spent the money at a good restaurant, I would at least
have some good memories for it.

+ Paul Wade                         Greenbush Technologies Corporation +
+ mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com              http://www.greenbush.com/ +