Re: Connecting to Windows NT

Leandro Asnaghi-Nicastro wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
>     First thing I apologize right away if I am posting this in the wrong
>     areas.
>
>     Reading the latest version of the PPP How To, I discovered that PPP
>     has something called MS CHAP.  Apparentely if you have a WinNT
>     server, this is what is required to connect Linux to it.
>
>     Has anyone tried this?  As far as I know the server is asking for
>     CHAP since it wants my username and password, and once I connect,
>     the very first time, when I connected under Win95, it asked the
>     network name.  After entering that, everything worked fine.
>
>     I am relatively new to Linux, just converted from Win, although I am
>     too used at have everything working (and crashing) right away.
>
>     Any hints or suggestions would be great from someone who has tried
>     anything like it before.

I've never dialed-in to an NT machine. However, just because Win95
prompts for user/password doesn't mean CHAP is used. Win95 tries to
be real clever with authentication, responding to plain old login:/
password: auth, PAP, and CHAP as it detects them. If you really want
to see what's going on, use HyperTerminal and manually dial in. Does
it prompt you with "user:", "login:" or some such thing? If this is
a case you'll need to set up your "chat" dial script to respond to
these prompts with your user id and password. If once the modem connects
you see garbage spewing out, then PPP is starting automatically and
auth must by default be either PAP or CHAP. In this case get pppd set
up with debugging on ('debug' on the command line or in the options
file) and look at /var/log/ppp.log. Without understanding all the
info that's there, you should still see "PAP" or "CHAP" somewhere in
the output and you'll know what you need. Then you'll need to edit
either /etc/ppp/pap-secrets or /etc/ppp/chap-secrets, respectively,
and create an entry with your login/password. There should be examples
in these files to go by.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com