Re: Smail and spammers

> Is there any way I can disable spammers from using my smail server to
> distribute spam?
>
> From the logs it appears that someone is sending mail from a
> compuserve account that then propagates into a large batch of mails to
> address all over the world.

let me preface this with:  While I am a lawyer, this is not legal
advice, and any such advice needed should come from an attorney licensed
in your state.  That said . .

If I understand this correctly (and i haven't a clue how smail works),
this person is sending messages that use your machine to go further?
If this is anything more than routine message relay to the next machine,
I'd love to see you contact your local United States attorney to have
the spammer prosecuted for theft of computer services.  While it's not
my area of law, if memory serves, if he did any hacking to get this
access from your machine, it would be illegal.  Also, if it's any type
of make money fast, etc., mail & wire fraud prosecution is possible.

A single prosecution begnning would probably have a significant effect
on the number of these yahoos.

Seriously, if possible,  have the spammer prosecuted.  You'll be doing a
favor to uncounted millions.  Come to mention it, if I wasn't in school
right now (specializing), i'd offer to help out pro bono.

Another possibility is civil suit for theft of services.  Even if
compuserve won't pop up name & address, the suit could be filed against
John Doe, then issue a subpena to compuserve for the information . . .

rick