Re: striping, etc.

On Fri, Jun 20, 1997 at 12:12:14PM -0500, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On that linux-raid list I told you about, someone was discussing IDE
> performance.  Seems that with their testing, which may or may not have
> been very accurate, that putting IDE disks on the same or seperate
> controllers seemed to have very little difference in performance.  I
> suspect this has more to do with the crappiness of IDE than anything to
> do with the md algorithms.

In fact, depending on your hardware, the performance might even be
worse. I have a Shuttle HOT-553, which is a Triton HX motherboard.
I have a Western Dig 1.6gb on the primary, and a Quantum 3.2gb
which was on the secondary. Linux would initially enable the DMA
for the Quantum, then disable it when it mounted the partitions,
after a timeout. This doesn't happen now that I've moved the Quantum
onto the primary with the WD (although it still happens to my
CD-ROM drive which is on the secondary). I don't know if there's
a performance difference, but I couldn't be any worse off.

So in summary, DMA does not seem to work to drives on the secondary
controller, while it works fine on the primary.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust                    moffatt@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.