Re: striping, etc.

> > They will go on a machine with 3 200m ide drives, which will be a poor-man's
> > server.  My current thinking is to mount / on the first controller, and
> > use the other pair as /usr on the second interface.  /usr will be NFS
> > exported.  Or would I be better off putting the two /usr drives on
> > separate controllers?
>
> I'd think it was better to mount them across separate controllers.  With
> seperate control and data lines, the kernel can issue two simultaneous
> requests and get data from both at the same time.  My understanding with
> IDE (and EIDE) is that a single controller can only access a single
> drive at a time and must wait for that request to finish before issuing
> another.

yes; that's the hitch with ide.  On the other hand, we don't have spare
scsis lying around :)

The reason i'm hesitating to put them on separate controllers is that /
is also on the first controller.  Everything that gets nfs exported will
come off /usr, and my concern is that massive hits to the portion that
was slaved could leave / unaccesable to the host.

> SCSI is a more sophisticated in that it allows a request to be issued
> and then the bus to idle (for more requests or other data) until the
> drive finishes processing the request and can blast back the data.

> This is why SCSI is much better than EIDE when dealing with more than one
> drive.  (At least, this is my understanding...  Somebody please correct
> me if I'm wrong.)

yes; exactly.  I just wish we had scsis.  Of coure, if this whole thing
works, we may be able to get one . . .

rick