downloading packages

Now that i have downloaded the base linux system, i need to run dselect to
load any packages.  Heres my question, where are all the packages that are
shown in dselect located?  Are they on the base floppies, or do i have to
download them from the net?  I would like to download them all into my dos
partion and just pick and choose which ones i want all at once. I know there
is a way to access them straight from the ftp site, but my dos partition is
the only place a have access to the net.  Also, in dselect, are these all the
packages that are available to me?  I would really like to learn EVERY option
available to me, but the easyist would be met with the same gratitude.
 Thanks