Re: downloading packages

On Sat, 21 Jun 1997 JediPoster@aol.com wrote:

> Now that i have downloaded the base linux system, i need to run dselect to
> load any packages.  Heres my question, where are all the packages that are
> shown in dselect located?  Are they on the base floppies, or do i have to
> download them from the net?  I would like to download them all into my dos
> partion and just pick and choose which ones i want all at once. I know there
> is a way to access them straight from the ftp site, but my dos partition is
> the only place a have access to the net.  Also, in dselect, are these all the
> packages that are available to me?  I would really like to learn EVERY option
> available to me, but the easyist would be met with the same gratitude.
>  Thanks

You will want to get the msdos-i386 directory, as the file names will not
get mangled. You will need an ftp client that can follow symlinks and
retrieve the files. Some clients (primarily windows related) don't deal
with symbolic links correctly. The msdos-i386 directory is nothing but
symbolic links that have adequate file names.

Currently this directory tree contains 316035 1k blocks (k in this case
equals 1024 bytes). This 300 + meg of packages will need disk space to
live on.

Another option would be to buy a CD from one of the many fine vendors
available, like myself, for instance ;-)

Luck,

Dwarf